Sunday 5 June 2011

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

I heard a radio series about 15 years ago on great romantic heroes of literature. If I remember rightly they were Mr Rochester, Mr Darcy, Heathcliff and Maximillian De Winter. I'm pleased to say I've read them all.
Rebecca is one of my favourite books, if only because I also love the film. But I like more than that. I like the story of a gauche girl making good and marrying a rich, stately home owning man. I like the suspense element, the did-he-or-didn't -he idea, the fact that his action renders her stronger.
And also probably the fact that their relationship ages. The wild romance of youth is gone by the time the book opens and she is a middle aged woman dressed in black with pearls married to an old man. Romance is lovely, but common sense says it doesn't last. There must be more to a relationship that lust and sex and passion, even if that is just keeping secrets.
We read this at a book club about 5 years ago (2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment